Idiom Press behaves crazy in version 659

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiom Press behaves crazy in version 659

I use an older Yaesu rotor and it does not have CAT or Serial control. I installed an RS232 ERC control board inside the control box many years ago and found the Idiom Press rotator settings worked it perfectly using the RS232 port on my computer. That is until version 659 came out. Now the display is off and the rotator exhibits very strange behavior and it always points either 90 or 180 wrong.

I did a complete recalibartion of the ERC using their Service Tool. Still, no matter how I configured the rotator choices (long path, short path, flip 180), the rotator would not behave correctly.

I rolled back to 647 and the rotator operation was immediately back to normal. Reliable rotator operation is most critical over the fixes in 659, which are great.

As a temporary fix, I overwrote the 659 rotator exe file with the one from 647 and all is once again working. It boots up automatically when I start the HRD Suite and functions as expected.

My question, before I submit a ticket, is anyone else seeing this behavior and perhaps a fix, other than what I have tried?
    --------------------------

Windows 7 Pro (64bit) on a Dell 755 Duo with 4Gb RAM and 120Gb Kingston SSD
    2 - Dell 1708FB Digital HD Monitors (Rig Control on left and Logbook on right)
    Current version of HRD unless I see problems with it.

ICOM IC-7410 to HRD via USB (on AS 6-Pack)
    ICOM IC-7000 to HRD via USB (currently mobile)
    ICOM IC-718 to HRD via Serial (on AS 6-Pack)
    ICOM IC-745 poor guy doesn't know what USB, HRD or CAT commands are (on a center-feed wire via LDG AT-11)

Diamond X-50 at 35' for 2m & 70cm
    Mosley TA54-XLN-6 (7 elements) @ 30' for 20m thru 6m (WARC included)
    M2 6m5-HP @ 35' for 6m (+2 S-Units over Mosley and lower noise levels)
    Inverted "V" @ 30' for 40m & 20m
    Center-Feed Longwire for everything else
    Little Tarheel II Screwdriver for 80m thru 6m mobile using West Mountain TARGETuner

LDG Electronics AT-11 Automatic Tuner (for IC-718)
    MFJ Electronics MFJ-901B Manual Tuner (for IC-745)

Array Solutions 6-Pack Antenna switch (2 radio inputs & 6 antenna inputs)

Yaseu D800SA Rotor controlled by HRD via an Easy Rotor Control (ERC) adapter card

I upload to eQSL & HRDNet automatically in HRD. LoTW, ClubLog, QRZ.com DAILY and send my cards to the Bureau MONTHLY.
    Why doesn't everybody do this? It's so much easier than having to work through hundreds (or thousands) of log entries once or twice a YEAR.

Licensed in April 1973.
    Retired July 2011.

Hi George,

today I have installed the newest version (659) and have the same issue with the rotator, its going very crazy!
    Clicking on the gauge at the log does well, but the click on map does not work correctly.
    I installed the rotator.exe V647, an all is OK again.
    Very sure a bug in the new rotator programm.

Vy 73 de DL2KBQ
    Horst-Andre

Comment

Thanks. Glad it is not just me this time. I'll leave this up for a few days and then submit a ticket. If you are a paid member, please do the same. The more tickets, the more likely to get it fixed.

ICOM IC-745 poor guy doesn't know what USB, HRD or CAT commands are (on a center-feed wire via LDG AT-11)

Little Tarheel II Screwdriver for 80m thru 6m mobile using West Mountain TARGETuner

Yaseu D800SA Rotor controlled by HRD via an Easy Rotor Control (ERC) adapter card

I upload to eQSL & HRDNet automatically in HRD. LoTW, ClubLog, QRZ.com DAILY and send my cards to the Bureau MONTHLY.
      Why doesn't everybody do this? It's so much easier than having to work through hundreds (or thousands) of log entries once or twice a YEAR.

Licensed in April 1973.
      Retired July 2011.

Comment

See the other thread about Yaesu Cat Control problems. The ver647 rotator program is useless to me as it stands because it is 180 degrees off and hangs and hunts back and forth when crossing over the south stop point. I'm curious if the new version does the same in my situation. I'm going to have to buy ERC mini dx and make it my interface. It works well with the 647 version but remains to be seen if it will with ver 659.

Comment

Yes, here it's also crazy after the update to 659,...
          It seems the North-South line is a mirror. When I put the pointer on 160, the antenna rotate to 200(middle 180) , when I go to 40, the antenna move to 320.
          I use the Prosistel PST with "D"-controller.
          I hope this ussue will be quick fixed...

Comment

UPDATE: Today (Tuesday), I created a ticket for this problem.

As a temporary fix, I suggested that HRD post the 647 rotator.exe file on line to fix the current problem until the HRD Suite is updated. I know some folks let the newest download overwirte their previous setup file and lose the ability to roll back. I for one, have all released copies of HRD since the early Simon days. More than once, I have had to roll back for one glaring reason or another. Life Savers for me.

I received the standard response, which is good -- I hope.

"It has been confirmed that the trouble you have reported is a bug in our software. It is entered in our bug tracking system and has been assigned the tracking # 0002104

Once an issue has been identified as a bug in the HRD software and has been entered in our bug tracking system for our developers to track and resolve, this support request will be closed since no further action, by the support department can be taken."
            Last edited by WB5JJJ; 07-11-17, 14:42.

Licensed in April 1973.
            Retired July 2011.

Comment

I also have the issue after updating to .659. Thanks for the tip to revert back to the earlier rotator.exe program. It allowed me to continue operating.
              They also need to fix the Idiom Press rotator behavior for South Stop. I have to configure for North stop and remember to force the rotator back around counter-clockwise if I am near 180 degrees.

Comment

Mine has always been set to north stop. Don't know why I would want a south stop, so I have never experienced this problem. I can get to most of the USA with the overtravel of the rotator. The ERC board takes all of the directional moves into consideration. I never even think twice about going beyond the overtravel points. It just takes off and goes the other direction automatically.

Licensed in April 1973.
                Retired July 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by WB5JJJ View Post
                  Mine has always been set to north stop. Don't know why I would want a south stop, so I have never experienced this problem. I can get to most of the USA with the overtravel of the rotator. The ERC board takes all of the directional moves into consideration. I never even think twice about going beyond the overtravel points. It just takes off and goes the other direction automatically.
                  I just ordered an ERC minidx to use with my G-800DXA and my Yaesu FTDx1200 radio. There are problems with Yaesu CAT control documented in another recent thread, both with hunting around the 180 degree stop point and with otherwise always being off by 180 degrees. The Easy Rotor Control boards bypass the need for Yaesu CAT control. I will be choosing RS232B as the protocol. A friend uses this without any problem with HRD ver 647. Will I be a guinea pig to see if rotator ver 659 works as well? Hmm.... Certainly not without keeping the 647 exe close by.

Comment

New version of HRD released, version 661. Anyone try out the rotator program yet?

Comment

.661 seems to work just fine now.

Licensed in April 1973.
                      Retired July 2011.

Comment

Working...
                      X