Rig Control Crashing on Shutdown When Closing COM Port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rig Control Crashing on Shutdown When Closing COM Port

Hello, first post here; thanks for adding me.

I'm in the early stages of my trial period of HRD and I am by and large thrilled with its operation. My only "gripe" thus far is that when I'm closing down the program it crashes at the COM port shutdown. The program hangs at that point and I have to force it to shut down.This locks up the COM port and it becomes necessary to reboot in order to run HRD again. Here's my setup:

Rig: Yaesu FT-450D, speed of com port is set to 38400, CTS is set to enable.
    Accessory: Signalink USB connected via 6 pin data port on 450D. Works dandy.
    Serial Device: ATTEN USB to Serial Bridge running on COM5, no other active serial devices running when crash occurs. Driver indicates as being latest available.
    PC: Dell XPS with i5 processor, 16 GB of RAM, nVidia video

I am still learning the basics of HRD but getting a good grasp on it. It appears I can control the rig fully via rig control, DM780 works fine with PSK31, everything "appears" normal until I shut down rig control.

As an aside I am able to control the FT-450D via SDR-Console, configured as an external transceiver and controlled in conjunction with Omni-Rig. Shutdown is normal there, for what it's worth. It seems to me that the ATTEN USB to Serial Bridge is functioning normally. Maybe HRD is unhappy with it?

As another aside, I have other PC's I can test on as well, but it appeared to me that during my trial period of HRD I am restricted to use on one PC as the temporary license is tied to my callsign.

While I intend to take the majority of the trial period to be sure I'm happy before purchase, I pretty much already am quite pleased with HRD with this one exception. Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Trying here before I call in the cavalry (AKA support).

Thanks and 73!

Scott/KC1UA
    Last edited by KC1UA; 11-13-17, 15:31.

I think I may be able to answer to my own dilemma...

Don't use the aforementioned ATEN USB to Serial Bridge! I happened to stumble upon an old Keyspan USB to serial connector I forgot I had. I've always had good luck with Keyspan devices and this one didn't let me down either. I did reduce the baud rate on the 450D to its default of 4800 also. HRD Rig Control shut down for me as I'd expect it to.

I had also tried to reduce the baud rate while using the ATEN. The result? 3 consecutive BSOD's after a few minutes of running HRD. That device will be reassigned to the junk box. It's unfortunate that today's PC's by and large don't continue to provide at least one true serial port as a standard, but it seems for the most part that such devices are things of the past.

I was fortunate to find the Keyspan, so I'd say (hope) that this "issue", apparently having nothing to do with HRD at all, is resolved.

Scott

Comment

Working...
    X