No announcement yet.

Logbook and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been running 1709 build 16299.19 Window 10 pro Microsoft Access database engine 2010 with pretty much defaults of HRD as far as backups and no problems so far. I do auto uploads except LOTW. I leave HRD running pretty much all day with logbook open.

Comment

Sorry 6.4.0.787 release.

Comment

Just FYI I am running the latest version of everything, and have not any problems at all. My system is as follows;
        HRD ver 6.4.0.787
        WSJT-X v1.8.0
        JTAlertX v2.10.4
        MariaDB v 10.0
        Windows 10 x64 v1709, build 16299.19
        Norton Security v 22.11.0.41
        This is all on a HP running Intel i7 with 16 Gig Memory, and 70 meg internet connection.
        I run this setup most days for up to 3 or 4 hrs at a time, no issues so far.

Comment

Hi

When you say the latest version of Windows, are you talking about the latest update as of this morning Nov 14 and if so were you having the logbook shut down problem before

Thanks

Comment

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4048955
            Ron, W3RJW

HRD v6.4.0.780
            Acer Aspire XC600, Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.9GHz, 8 GB Memory, 64-bit OS, Windows 8.1,
            Access Data Base
            FTdx-5000+Timewave Navigator Interface/FTdx-3000+SignaLink USB Interface, SteppIR Interface

Comment

After installing the Tuesday, November 14, 2017 Windows 10 Updates, I'm having a 50% success rate.

My main computer with all the amateur radio software that I use is working fine and Logbook hasn't closed after about half a dozen tests of between 20 and 30 minutes each, that computer has Windows 10 Home, 64-bit installed.

My other desktop computer with only HRD installed on it still closes Logbook at about 10 minute intervals, that computer has Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit installed.

There were some updates to Office 2016 Professional Plus today also, that were installed after testing Logbook and they don't seem to have any effect on the operation of Logbook. Both computers have Office 2016 Professional Plus installed.

The best workaround I've found, if anyone needs it, is to keep a few contacts in Logbook that haven't been uploaded to LoTW and upload one of them when Logbook is started. That has been working 100% of the time for me for over a week.
              Last edited by WJ3OE; 11-14-17, 21:33.

Comment

The logbook closing problem remains after applying KB4048955 and updating Office 2016 Professional Plus to v1710.
                73, Fred - PA0FVH
                ---------------------------------------------------
                Setup: Windows 10 (64-bit) i7 16Gb, IC-7600, microHAM DK II

Comment

I really hate to report this but the Logbook closing issue is back this morning. All I did was shut everything down last night and restart it this morning.

It worked perfectly on this machine yesterday for about 10 hours and I closed all the amateur radio software and reopened it many times, each time Logbook remained open.

After my first contact was made this morning, Logbook remained open.
                  Last edited by WJ3OE; 11-15-17, 12:50.

Comment

Unfortunately I also have to report the same.

Windows Update KB4048955 Installed today which reportedly addresses an issue with Microsoft JET Database (MS Access 2007). After reading the related Info at Microsoft I was quietly confident this might be the fix we've been patiently waiting for........but alas, it has NOT cured the issue of the 10 minute logbook shutdown within HRD.

The 100% successful workaround of opening HRD Suite and immediately manually uploading the last contact in my logbook to Clublog or LoTW is still working though.

Baffled by how uploading an ADIF file from HRD to an external source cures this issue!!.......nevertheless it does, thus leaving the full HRD Suite fully operational and useable with no Logbook shutdown issue??

Sorry to Michael at Clublog for all the Dupe's but it's the only way to keep HRD running under the present conditions!!

Back to the Drawing Board Guys! Slippery little suckers these software BUGS!!!
                    Last edited by g0uii; 11-15-17, 15:01.
                    Jerry, G0UII

ASUS Sabertooth FX990 R2.0
                    ​AMD FX8350 4.0GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB Graphics
                    MS Windows 10 Home, 64 Bit, (Version: 1709)
                    MS Office 365, 32bit, (Latest Version)

2 x Yaesu FTDX5000MP's to HRD via 2 x Microham MK II USB, (Microham Router Software USB Driver / Eltima Virtual Serial Ports)

Yaesu FT-991 to HRD via USB, (Yaesu SCU-17 USB Driver / Silicon Labs Virtual Serial Ports)

HRD Version: 6.4.0.787 (MS Access Database)

Comment

Logbook closed on me even after switching it over to MariaDB. Currently on Windows 10 Pro 1709.
                      I'm going to try to and get a Procmon trace tomorrow and see if I can see what might be killing the hrdlogbook.exe process.

Comment

This is a bit unsettling that the MariaDB (MySQL) DB also is also affected. That pretty much blows my thoughts about it being an Access related problem.
                        --------------------------

Windows 7 Pro (64bit) on a Dell 755 Duo with 4Gb RAM and 120Gb Kingston SSD
                        2 - Dell 1708FB Digital HD Monitors (Rig Control on left and Logbook on right)
                        Current version of HRD unless I see problems with it.

ICOM IC-7410 to HRD via USB (on AS 6-Pack)
                        ICOM IC-7000 to HRD via USB (currently mobile)
                        ICOM IC-718 to HRD via Serial (on AS 6-Pack)
                        ICOM IC-745 poor guy doesn't know what USB, HRD or CAT commands are (on a center-feed wire via LDG AT-11)

Diamond X-50 at 35' for 2m & 70cm
                        Mosley TA54-XLN-6 (7 elements) @ 30' for 20m thru 6m (WARC included)
                        M2 6m5-HP @ 35' for 6m (+2 S-Units over Mosley and lower noise levels)
                        Inverted "V" @ 30' for 40m & 20m
                        Center-Feed Longwire for everything else
                        Little Tarheel II Screwdriver for 80m thru 6m mobile using West Mountain TARGETuner

LDG Electronics AT-11 Automatic Tuner (for IC-718)
                        MFJ Electronics MFJ-901B Manual Tuner (for IC-745)

Array Solutions 6-Pack Antenna switch (2 radio inputs & 6 antenna inputs)

Yaseu D800SA Rotor controlled by HRD via an Easy Rotor Control (ERC) adapter card

I upload to eQSL & HRDNet automatically in HRD. LoTW, ClubLog, QRZ.com DAILY and send my cards to the Bureau MONTHLY.
                        Why doesn't everybody do this? It's so much easier than having to work through hundreds (or thousands) of log entries once or twice a YEAR.

Licensed in April 1973.
                        Retired July 2011.

Comment

Could still be an ODBC issue - MariaDB uses an ODBC connector...
                          Yaesu FT-920 barefoot
                          Microham microKeyer 2
                          LDG AT-100 Pro tuner
                          133' OCFD "Carolina" windom
                          Lenovo T420 i5-2520M 2.5 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7 Enterprise
                          MariaDB SQL database

Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
                          Joseph Campbell

Comment

Kinda of doubt it's ODBC since switching to MariaDB you are using a new connector. I did try a clean install on a laptop this morning Win 10 pro 1709 and latest HRD with demo rig setup and empty DB. Same result, logbook shutdown on its own. I did get a Procmon trace of it. only thing that stands out is a sharing violation about the time the logbook closed.

Comment

Yesterday, 11/16, I received several Windows 10 64bit update downloads. I didn't try HRD until this afternoon. Logbook has been running for 30 minutes through a couple of QSOs and no shut down. I'm crossing my fingers.

UPDATE: 1 hour and the logbook is still running.

UPDATE #2: Logbook is still running after 6 hours. Looks like Microsoft's latest update fixed the problem.

UPDATE #3: After 2 days of being able to run HRD with no logbook shutdown, today it is shutting down again. There have been no windows updates or changes. I'm at a loss.
                              Last edited by Bill Cole; 11-19-17, 16:47.

Comment

Ran another test tonight with the home system (Win 10 pro 1709) current HRD and using MariaDB. Logbook closed on it's own and I see the same sharing violation in the Procmon trace.

Comment

Working...
                                X