Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better way to do a QRZ lookup?

Hi Guys,
    There has got to be a better way to add QRZ info to a log entry. JT65-HF sends the QSO over to be logged... Then:
    1. Double click on an entry
    2. Click look up
    3. click on a clear space (not sure why you have to)
    4. Click F7 to update (must click on clear space)
    5. REPEAT

Thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Josh - KB0GUS

This is actually one of my favorite "oldie but goodie" topics. (By the way, did you seriously get the callsign "K B0GUS" intentionally? that's cool! I W1SH my call were that N1CE! I would almost K1LL for something like that. I may have to wait a WH1LE.)

That is... what we need here is a "bulk callsign lookup"... where you can select/highlight QSO records... right-click... and do a bulk lookup.

So a few years ago, I went to the owners of QRZ and said... "What would it take for us to do bulk callsign lookups?" The response I received was, "We don't want to support that due to the increase in traffic load that would be caused by doing it."

That said... I'll discuss it internally and see if we can come up with an approach for doing it. It's a need for plenty of people using everything from JT65-HF... to N1MM... etc.

By the way... introducing something like this (because it's not a "bug/defect") is a feature that would be introduced to customers who are active and current with Software Maintenance and Support. (just using this as an example)

Mike, WA9PIE
    Last edited by wa9pie; 07-17-17, 22:20.
    Mike, WA9PIE

_ . _ . _ _ . _
    Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

DXCC
    Honor Roll (332/340 Mixed)
    9BDXCC (160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10)
    Challenge (1,696), CW (305), Phone (286)
    [Granted are the only ones I count]

DX CQ
    CW Honor Roll (289)
    SSB Honor Roll (275)

CQ WAZ
    Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

CQ DX Field
    Mixed Honor Roll (176)
    CW (106), SSB (108), Digital (50)

CQ WPX
    Mixed Honor Roll (953)
    CW (562)
    SSB (569)

Fixed Station:
    Yaesu FTdx5000MP, Yaesu Quadra System, microKEYER II
    Icom IC-910

Mobile Station:
    Yaesu FT-857D and Digikeyer II

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Mike!

Looks like my subscription just expired... I'd LOVE to find an excuse like a cool new feature to renew

Thanks again!
      Josh - KB0GUS

I'd love to change my call to a shorter one... but can't do it... got it by chance in 90 and it's too cool!!

Comment

I have the same desire. I do the CW Ops CWT weekly using N1MM+ as a logging tool. I export these 15-20 contacts in ADIF format and import them into my HRD log and then upload them to LOTW using that HRD logbook feature. These imported log entries do not contain the state or city. Occasionally these include DX contacts. I realized that the award tracking feature in HRD would not include these contacts since no city or state, or country information was included. It sure is a pain to have to open each contact individually and press "Lookup" then update the log entry. Can you make HRD lookup each entry as it is imported? Would this still be considered a "bulk" lookup for QRZ? A checkbox could be included in the options or import dialog to allow the lookup to occur for each imported contact. I am assuming there is no way to do this now with my current 664 version. I am a current subscription owner to HRD.

Thanks,
        Dennis
        WA5LXS

Comment

Originally posted by wa9pie View Post
          That is... what we need here is a "bulk callsign lookup"... where you can select/highlight QSO records... right-click... and do a bulk lookup.

So a few years ago, I went to the owners of QRZ and said... "What would it take for us to do bulk callsign lookups?" The response I received was, "We don't want to support that due to the increase in traffic load that would be caused by doing it."

Mike, WA9PIE
          I don't see why this would be a problem now since I have to have a subscription to get this information and having a subscription entitles me to unlimited lookups.

Charlie, K0LAF
          Charlie, KØLAF

Comment

Originally posted by k0laf View Post

I don't see why this would be a problem now since I have to have a subscription to get this information and having a subscription entitles me to unlimited lookups.

Charlie, K0LAF
            The owners of QRZ.com were worried about the potential for systems performance problems on their systems due to bulk lookups. They have concerns going back to contest weekends that caused their systems to get "over-heated."

It's not an HRD limitation. That said - we live in a new world and we're a "new HRD company." I'm all for taking a different approach on that.

...more to come.
            Mike, WA9PIE

_ . _ . _ _ . _
            Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

DXCC
            Honor Roll (332/340 Mixed)
            9BDXCC (160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10)
            Challenge (1,696), CW (305), Phone (286)
            [Granted are the only ones I count]

DX CQ
            CW Honor Roll (289)
            SSB Honor Roll (275)

CQ WAZ
            Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

CQ DX Field
            Mixed Honor Roll (176)
            CW (106), SSB (108), Digital (50)

CQ WPX
            Mixed Honor Roll (953)
            CW (562)